And we’re back. Today I tackled what would become painting number 6 in my collection, and by far I spent the most time working on this painting than any other. I’ve been averaging about 3 hours per painting. But on this one I spent at least 6 or 7 hours. I think part of the reason is because I am trying to be more patient with letting parts of the painting dry before I start working on new layers. Also this one is set up in a more complex way than my previous paintings, as I once again tried to tackle different plains.
So without further ado…
To start, I painted the entire canvas this yellow color. I’ve been having trouble with the paint not filling in the entire canvas, thus leaving little white dots, so I thought at the very least this would solve that problem. It also provides a layer of color to blend with.
Next I added orange/red texture to the canvas to provide more depth for the items I planned to paint on top. I did this mainly for the sky, but I figured it couldn’t hurt to fill the entire canvas anyway.
Next I added in some blueish/white clouds for this sky thing I’ve been hearing so much about.
Then I added in pure white on top of that, several times over, blending, blending, blending until I got a good textured looking sky. I’m really happy with the way it turned out.
With the sky done, I could focus on the rest of the painting. To be honest, I didn’t really have a plan. I thought I was going to do another tree painting, but I called an audible on that.
Here you can see me outlining the various plains, as well as a building of some sort. I imagine it as a kind of abandoned fort.
Here I started to fill in the plains and the fort. I shouldn’t have started the left plain when I did since it is technically in front of the middle plain and would need to cover it up slightly with whatever I ended up putting there, but it didn’t really matter in the end. I worked it out.
To help separate the plains, I put in a small stream. I also thought it would add a good splash of color. Get it? Stream. Splash. Ha! I also added in some highlights on the trees in the distance and flowers to the grass. Also added a layer of dark brown to the fort.
Worked in some highlights in the stream, added a lighter brown to the fort, and a dark base layer for the remaining plains. I also extended the top of the fort to make it look as if it were broken. Like maybe a cannon ball flew through it. You can make up any story you want.
Blended out the stream, and added detail to the fort. I wanted the fort to look like it had been destroyed, hence the black scorching. I didn’t really get the 3D effect of the fort with the side wall, but oh well. You can sue me, but it’ll never hold up in court. You’d just be wasting your own time.
I also added in white flowers and started on the grass for the middle and front plains.
And finally I added a large tree to the front to give depth to the painting and give another area of focus opposite the fort in the distance.
So even though I spent all the time working on the field on the right side of the canvas, I just wound up covering it up. But we all know that field is there, and that’s what adds magic to the painting. You’re welcome.
Overall I’m very pleased with this painting, and I have no qualms whatsoever with charging $50,000 for it.
At this time I’d like to mention that I’ve added an Artwork tab to the blog so you can view all of my finished paintings on one page. I mostly did this so I have a place to easily view my progress as I go. When I look at my very first painting that I ever did and realize that it was only less than a month ago on 12/15/13 I really can’t believe the progress I have made. I know I still have a crazy long way to go before I can charge $100,000+ on a single painting, but I feel like I’m well on my way. Get your checkbooks ready.