The Thing That Happened

Time to get back to the blog!

You may have noticed I disappeared for a bit. Or maybe you haven’t. How dare you!?

Well, it’s been a crazy summer—a lot of things happened. To be honest, I’ve been on the fence a bit about whether to actually write this post. I’m not very good at sharing personal things, but I figured maybe my experiences will resonate with others, and even help a bit. So here we go…

On May 30th my brother and I left work a bit early to go have dinner with my sister who had just gotten into town to spend the week at Disney with her family. We met at Fulton’s Crab House in Downtown Disney. Now, to set the scene, I should tell you I had been having headaches 24/7 literally for the entire week leading up to this. That night was no exception. Because of the headache, I asked my brother to drive.

The place where "it" happened.

The place where “it” happened.

We knew heading down there that 7:00 on a Friday night at Downtown Disney wasn’t going to be ideal for finding a parking space. And we were right. We circled three different lots for over a half hour, along with 100 other cars, having no luck at all. Eventually we forfeited and paid for valet. Twenty bucks.

Did I mention how hot it was? May in Florida. That’s easy math.

Anyone in Orlando will likely know that Downtown Disney is currently one giant construction site, meaning we had to walk about twice the distance it would normally take to get to Fulton’s Crab House. Of course it was obscenely crowded. And hot. Did I mention how hot it was?

We arrive at the restaurant just in time to meet my sister in the lobby about two minutes before a table was ready for us. We sat down and ordered our drinks. I ordered a Guinness…which I would never get to drink.

That’s as far as I remember because at some point right after that I had a seizure. My first one. I’m 29 years old and I’ve never had one before. Apparently it was a pretty bad one too. The next thing I remember is waking up on the floor with paramedics over me telling me not to stand up. I had no idea what was going on. For all I knew a gang of ninjas had attempted an assassination. It was scary.

I was in the hospital for about a week and a half after that. For the three or four days after the seizure I had a lot of trouble speaking, finding words, remembering my name—small things like that. Apparently that is typical after a seizure, but they expected me to get back to normal after 24 hours, not four days later. Again, it was scary.

After getting out of the hospital, my brother and I were only a few weeks away from moving out of our apartment, so my schedule was basically: nap, pack some boxes, nap some more, pack something else, go to bed. Also there was eating and bathroom breaks mixed in. Mostly it was napping though.

The headaches were still pretty bad for the month or so after. Any kind of brain work would set them off. Which meant writing went on the back burner. It sounds stupid now, but there were times early on in the hospital where I really thought I wouldn’t write another book again. I mean, doctors would ask me my name and I had no idea if I was even saying it right. Nothing made sense inside my brain.

The doctors have no clue what caused the seizure, and were extremely hesitant to let me go back to work. In all, I missed 2 months of work.

After having a seizure, moving to a new place, and battling endless headaches, I’m happy to report that I’m back into writing, and have completed a draft of a serialized story that I plotted out and began at the start of August. I figured writing short chunks of a story would ease me back into it, and give me a sense of accomplishment with each part I finish.

I can’t tell you how excited I’ve been these past few weeks, working on the story daily, coming up with new ideas and working them out into storylines. It’s actually the reason this post has been delayed. If I was going to be writing, I wanted to be writing the story and nothing else.

I am now about to start a read-through on my Kindle of my second draft to see if the story is any good. Who knows? The coming days will tell. But whether I publish it or not, I can say without a doubt it’s good to be back.


  1. Great to have you back, mate!

  2. What a way to spend the summer… and what a daunting experience – for you and all your family. I hope things are soon resolved for you medically, and that this eventually will be transformed into writer’s ‘grist for the mill’. And I admire, and understand, your need to get back into writing. It helps to make sense of it all. Good luck, and thank you for sharing your experience.


Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *